Sauerland Sauerkraut Recipe with Bacon Jam February 03 2014
Most Americans are not familiar with baked sauerkraut. But, if you eat as much cabbage as they do in central and eastern Europe you have to be imaginative in your preparations, lest you get bored. I remember the first time I had my Taunte Wally’s baked sauerkraut with apples and pork belly. It was a rich, sweet, and savory departure from the sour sauerkraut I was used to. Here is my Bacon Jams take on it.
- 1 head brined cabbage, shredded ( you can substitute a package of sauer kraut if you dont want to brine it your self)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 oz The Bacon Jams All Original Flavor Spreadable Bacon
- 3/4 cup water
- Crank the oven to 425.
- dump the sauerkraut into a pot and simmer until the brine has evaporated.
- Stir in the olive oil and the Bacon Jams All Original Flavor Spreadable Bacon and cook for five minutes, stirring the whole time.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish.
- pour in the water at the edges so as to not “wash” the mixture, and put oven for 45-60 minutes.
- Stir after the water has mostly evaporated and return to the oven for another 30 miutes or until the cabbage is nice a brown.